Dhamma Talk Video 101: Weariness towards the World
Here’s a 52-min recorded video Dhamma Talk (116MB .mp4).
- nibbidā, nibbida, weariness, emotional logic, conversion to Buddhism, or to a religion in general; meditation, retreats, Bhante Rahula, investigation of Dhamma, creative visualization, moods, using emotion to our own advantage, engendering an attitude, behaviour, overcoming worldly attachment, the difference between an “input” and an “output” - which one is nibbidā?
Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta, found at MN 10, and also at DN 22 (with slight variation)
Ānāpānassati Sutta, found at MN 118
I spoke of the general patterns found in these foundational suttas, whereby first one cultivates Samadhi, then from that place of peace and happiness, then turn toward contemplating nibbidā - weariness towards the world. An attitude of dispassion, as lived out in the world - for those times outside formal meditation - then naturally follows.
A definition of nibbidā from the Digital Pali Dictionary: “dis-enchantment (towards); de-illusionment (with); disinterest (in); dispassion (towards)”
Past Dhamma Talks Referenced:
- Viraga/Dispassion (a concept similar to nibbidā) was discussed in a past Dhamma Talk: “Video 69: Gudetama’s Viraga/Dispassion”
Interview with Loius Theroux, by psychologist Jimmy Saville: on the tendency to define logic too narrowly, when we should include behaviour which is motivated by emotions - there is a logic to behaving towards where our emotions direct us to go.
From the book “Cultish”, by Amanda Montell:
“In a moment, they [a new group member] become filled with the sense that this group is their answer, that they can’t not come back. This tends to happen all at once, and it’s what makes a person “join”. This is called ‘conversion.’”
- RSS feed of these postings: https://bhikkhu.ca/feed.xml (Paste this link into your favorite Podcatcher)
Digital Signing and Checksum (of the .mp4 video file above):
- GnuPG signature: Ajahn_Subharo_Dhamma_Talk_Stream_101.mp4.sig; search for GnuPG pubkey 0x28e15963710c0624 here.
- SHA256sum: 93e865aa8d37f7e2b915a4690fa078ee3f10ab3d3eaf049c25079441eb8e2b31