Dhamma Talk Video 72: Buddhist Life Hacks for a Tamed Online Life
Here’s an 68-min recorded video Dhamma Talk (125MB .mp4).
- Seclusion, Viveka, contentment, Santutthi, Sense Restraint, meditation, supporting conditions, remote forest lodgings, poor internet access, off-grid, forest monasticism, lifestyle, smartphones, Airplane Mode, “Do Not Disturb” mode, Mechanical “Alert Slider” switch, James Brown, “buffering” content, LibreElec, Kodi, Signal, RSS, ads, sacred, Youtube app, links, copying-and-pasting, firefox, uBlock Origin, ad-blocker, push-to-talk, radios off, insecure Android, glorified USB stick with a screen, Dhamma Talks, sharing, path of least resistance, Poor Man’s Netflix, Smart TV, Dumb TV, offline content, network file share, file management, lost art
- “Poor Man’s Netflix” with LibreElec on a Raspberry Pi 4:
Buddhist RSS Feeds are explained more here.
youtube-dl tricks for downloading “fair-use” Youtube content (eg. for “personal study”, “research”, or “teaching” purposes) for offline use:
Save a Youtube video in 480p, and embed the English subtitles inside it:
youtube-dl --write-sub --sub-lang en --embed-subs -c -f '[height<481]' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0rmx7aa0w
Download the English subtitles (as a plain text file, ending in .en.vtt), next hit Ctrl-C to interrupt full video download if all you want is the subtitles:
youtube-dl --write-sub --sub-lang en https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Qm9cGRub0
- RSS feed of these postings: https://bhikkhu.ca/feed.xml (Paste this link into your favorite Podcatcher)
Digital Signing and Checksum (of the .mp4 video file above):
- GnuPG signature: Ajahn_Subharo_Dhamma_Talk_Stream_072.mp4.sig; search for GnuPG pubkey 0x28e15963710c0624 here.
- SHA256sum: adbba5ef23bd6b38e0891b352275c5476f855b4ec884f9a5337deb9958ec34cc