Dhamma Talk Video 48: Nibbana, Anatta, Kiriya, and Genes
Here’s an 50-min recorded video Dhamma Talk (86MB .mp4).
- Pārāyana, Parayana, Sutta Nipāta, Sutta Nipata, Early Buddhist Texts, meditation, merit-making, generosity, morality, sila, sappaya, supporting conditions, Nibbana, kiriya, kamma, elements, dhatu, name and form, nama rupa
“They do not sorrow over the past, Nor do they hanker for the future. They maintain themselves with what is present: Hence their complexion is so serene. “Through hankering for the future, Through sorrowing over the past, Fools dry up and wither away Like a green reed cut down.”
DN 11.6 - Kevaṭṭa Sutta:
kattha āpo ca pathavī, tejo vāyo na gādhati kattha dīghañca rassañca, aṇuṃ thūlaṃ subhāsubhaṃ kattha nāmañca rūpañca, asesaṃ uparujjhatī’ti
where do water and earth, fire and wind not find their footing where do long and short, tiny and enormous beautiful and ugly where do name and form end without trace?
viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ, anantaṃ sabbatopabhaṃ ettha āpo ca pathavī, tejo vāyo na gādhati ettha dīghañca rassañca, aṇuṃ thūlaṃ subhāsubhaṃ ettha nāmañca rūpañca, asesaṃ uparujjhati
consciousness not manifesting, endless all-radiant here long and short, tiny and enormous beautiful and ugly here name and form end without trace
- U.G. Krishnamurti’s “The Mystique of Enlightenment”, and the example of telling the time on a wall clock, in a kiriya-like fashion
- Richard Dawkins “The Selfish Gene”, and how he articulates the Buddhist concept of not-self superbly.
Your Support is Most Appreciated:
- RSS feed of these postings: https://bhikkhu.ca/feed.xml (Paste this link into your favorite Podcatcher)
Digital Signing and Checksum (of the .mp4 video file above):
- GnuPG signature: Ajahn_Subharo_Dhamma_Talk_Stream_048.mp4.sig; search for GnuPG pubkey 0x28e15963710c0624 here.
- SHA256sum: 5e858761929d70e862652ada87de17acf3670c55f00c5b484470819ec5a14a73