Dhamma Talk Audio 16: Knowing Others Before Drawing Conclusions
Here is a 59-min recorded audio-only Dhamma Talk, from an in-person event at Nandaka, to an audience of about 60. (58MB .mp3).
- surprises, remaining calm, world travel, story of the dirty golden ring, ethics, morality, sila, sīla, relationships, reserving being judgemental, appraising arahantship, “sleepers”, getting to know people, being a good conversationalist, 2-way discussion as a way to test people’s knowledge and understanding, building trust
- AN 4.104 - “Lakes”
- One is shallow but appears deep,
- one is deep but appears shallow,
- one is shallow and appears shallow, and
- one is deep and appears deep.
- Ud 6.2 - “Seven Matted-Hair Ascetics”
You can get to know a person’s ethics by living with them. But only after a long time, not casually; only when paying attention, not when inattentive; and only by the wise, not the witless. You can get to know a person’s purity by dealing with them. … You can get to know a person’s resilience in times of trouble. … You can get to know a person’s wisdom by discussion. But only after a long time, not casually; only when paying attention, not when inattentive; and only by the wise, not the witless.”
Your Support is Most Appreciated:
- RSS feed of these postings: https://bhikkhu.ca/feed.xml (Paste this link into your favorite Podcatcher)
Digital Signing and Checksum (of the .mp3 audio file above):
GnuPG signatures (search for GnuPG pubkey 0x28e15963710c0624 here): Ajahn_Subharo_Dhamma_Talk_016.mp3.sig
SHA256sum for Ajahn_Subharo_Dhamma_Talk_015.mp3: 9fa625681a5fe1be22f4f379299575712a872a1f2cc426b46887bd80b938024f